State And Federal Environmental Litigation Attorneys On Your Side
The trial lawyers at Caufield & James have the experience and logistical resources to handle even the most complex or high-exposure environmental disputes. Our attorneys have represented private businesses, major corporations, citizens’ groups, state agencies, municipalities and public commissions on the full range of environmental litigation issues.
Representing Clients Facing A Wide Array Of Legal Issues
Examples of our environmental litigation practice include these recurrent problems:
- Private remediation cost recovery actions through Superfund, or lawsuits under Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA), the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) or state environmental cleanup legislation
- Property owners or dry cleaners facing lawsuits due to spills, contamination, pollution or more, related to dry cleaning and heavily regulated cleaning solvents
- Toxic tort litigation
- Environmental counsel
- Water law
- Insurance coverage
- Insurance litigation
- Regulatory violations
- Actions for declaratory or injunctive relief on issues involving standing, federal preemption, jurisdiction, insurance coverage or successor liability
- Challenges to the sufficiency of an environmental impact statement or report
- Citizen opposition to major projects or developments under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) or the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA)
- Administrative disputes over environmental permits, including denial or conditions
- Penalty reduction negotiations in regulatory enforcement proceedings
One of our partners, Jeff Caufield, worked on the California chromium-6 litigation, made famous in the motion picture “Erin Brockovich.” His practice has focused on complex environmental litigation and dispute resolution proceedings in both civil courts and administrative agency settings.
He also has an in-depth understanding of the technical issues involved in environmental litigation. Mr. Caufield can develop and execute trial or hearing strategies that are suited to the scale and complexity of your litigation problem.
Learn How We Can Assist You
If you or your company anticipates a civil lawsuit to resolve an issue of liability or damages concerning any environmental problem, call the attorneys at Caufield & James at 866-585-8944 or send us a direct message through our online form.