State and Federal Environmental Litigation Attorneys
The trial lawyers of Caufield & James have the experience and logistical resources to handle even the most complex or high-exposure environmental disputes. Our attorneys have represented private businesses, major corporations, citizens’ groups, state agencies, municipalities and public commissions on the full range of environmental litigation issues. If you or your company anticipates a civil lawsuit to resolve an issue of liability or damages concerning any environmental problem, contact one of our litigation attorneys.
We represent clients throughout California and the United States
Examples of our environmental litigation practice include these recurrent problems:
- Private remediation cost recovery actions through Superfund, or lawsuits under CERCLA, RCRA or state environmental cleanup legislation
- Toxic tort litigation
- Environmental counsel
- Water law
- Insurance coverage
- Insurance litigation
- Regulatory violations
- Actions for declaratory or injunctive relief on issues involving standing, federal preemption, jurisdiction, insurance coverage or successor liability
- Challenges to the sufficiency of an environmental impact statement or report
- Citizen opposition to major projects or developments under NEPA or CEQA
- Administrative disputes over environmental permits, including denial or conditions
- Penalty reduction negotiations in regulatory enforcement proceedings
One of our partners, Jeff Caufield, worked on the California Chromium 6 litigation, made famous in the motion picture “Erin Brockovich.” His practice has focused on complex environmental litigation and dispute resolution proceedings in both civil courts and administrative agency settings. He also has an in-depth understanding of the technical issues involved in environmental litigation. Jeff Caufield can develop and execute trial or hearing strategies that are suited to the scale and complexity of your litigation problem.
For additional information about the scope of our environmental litigation practice and our ability to represent your interests effectively, contact an attorney at Caufield & James.